Oh, the Things to Do In and Around Pensacola! (a.k.a.: The Guide to All things Pensacola) Pt.1
We are a few weeks into the fall semester and I know what some of you are thinking, “What is there to do around here?” I know for some students, the newness has worn off of attending a new university or starting a new chapter in their lives, or they just want something completely different from their normal activities to do. Well, look no further! From a senior perspective, here are the coolest and most interesting activities around to excite even the most extreme thrill-seekers.
- Fort Pickens, one of the historical forts located in Pensacola, offers a look at history and is situated in the Gulf Islands National Seashore Park. The fort is a perfect place for exploration and, who knows, you may even learn some local and U.S. history.
- Dinosaurs in the Woods! If you are looking for a short and extremely interesting road trip, this one is for you! These life-size sculptures can be found in Elberta, Ala. It’s a treat if you can find all four. Discovering these dinosaurs is free and open to the public, and can be spotted from the side of the road. It is a must to document these creatures!
- October is upon us, so you know what that means…spooky tours! Historic Downtown Pensacola offers multiple spooky walking and trolley tours including: Ghastly Ghosts of North Seville Walking Tour, Murder and Mayhem Walking Tour, Redlight Walking Tour, and the Tragedy and Terror Walking Tour. If you are feeling more inclined to get into the festive spirit, these are all good options and are available for October 16, 17, 23, 24, and 30! Tickets can be purchased on the Historic Pensacola village website: http://www.historicpensacola.org/
Are festivals more of your type of atmosphere? Luckily for you, is it the festival season here in the Panhandle! Here are just a few upcoming festivals that are personal favorites of mine:
- Greek Festival is definitely one of the more cultural festivals in this area. The food is definitely a must try for food connoisseurs and foodies alike! Be on the lookout October 9, 10, and 11th for a wild ride of a time.
- There is always the faithful standby of the Pensacola Interstate Fair. Running from October 15th-25th this is the biggest and most anticipated fair in Pensacola every year. With cooler nights ahead, this fair is the spot for making memories and having a blast with your friends. Look out for specials days which are half-price admission and/or rides. It pays to plan ahead!
- Interested in something more in your comfort zone? Try the Elberta German Sausage Festival! This festival’s main attraction is their famous sausage, which I must say is quite delicious, along with the usual craft and food vendors. Again, this is a little bit of a roadtrip, but definitely worth it. The proceeds of all the sausage bought that weekend benefit the volunteer firefighters in Elberta, AL, plus how many times can you tell your friends you went to actual sausage festival? Mark your calendars for October 31st, did I also mention that this festival is FREE!
Stay tuned for more local events to try this fall!
Written by: Keilani Hernandez, senior